Tin Mountain Conservation Center
1245 Bald Hill Road
Albany, NH 03818
Phone: (603) 447-6991

Fax: (603) 447-3405
Email: info(at)tinmountain.org

Tin Mountain Conservation Center’s Nature Learning Center is open Monday through Friday from 9AM – 5PM. The trails and grounds of the Rockwell Sanctuary are open everyday from dawn to dusk. Maps are available for our well-marked trail network traversing the 138-acre sanctuary.

october-0171

Building tours of the unique and energy-efficient Nature Learning Center are available upon request to explain the building philosophy and the distinctive use of local materials. The Center boasts the use of woods from 20 different local tree species in custom applications by local craftsman. Most of the wood in the building was cut and milled either on property or within 15 miles of the Center. In addition, the 8,500 ft2 building generates 100% of its electricity needs from ~1,000 ft2 photovoltaic array and 75% of its heat from ~1,000 ft2 solar thermal array. The remaining 25% heat is from a wood boiler using on-site firewood.

greatroom

The fully preserved ca. 1800 barn, oldest in the Town of Albany, is also a very interesting place to explore. The craftsmanship and materials are remarkable in their simplicity and usefulness. Examine the natural history library, the many wildlife mounts, natural history artifacts, and sizable rock/mineral collection.

allardbarn

The facility is available for weddings, receptions, private parties, annual meetings and more. Call Susan at 603-447-6991 for more information. Ask about special non-profit rental rates.

Travel Directions:

Driving from the SOUTH: Take route 95 North to 16 North in Portsmouth, NH. Take 16 North to the Welcome to Mt. Washington Valley sign, south of Village of Conway. There are two entrances to Bald Hill Rd on the left side of Rte. 16. Take the second entrance after the Welcome to Mt.Washington Valley sign. Drive one mile up Bald Hill Rd to the Nature Learning Center on left.

OR from route 93 North, take exit 23 (route 104 East) to 25 North to 16 North (see directions above once you are on 16 North).

Driving from the NORTH: Take route 91 South to 93 South. Take 93 South to route 302 East. Continue on 302 right through North Conway, and when 302 splits to the left, continue straight instead, staying on route 16. You will pass an Army/Navy Store on your left – at the next traffic light, make a right (Irving gas station on left). Drive through Conway village, past the Kennett Middle School, over the RR tracks, and continue through traffic light (Rte. 112 (Kancamagus Hwy will be on your right). Turn right onto Bald Hill Rd (second right after the Rte. 112 traffic light). Drive one mile up Bald Hill Rd to the Nature Learning Center on left.

Driving from the EAST: Take route 302/113 West through Fryeburg, Maine and into New Hampshire. 302 will turn right – do not turn – continue straight onto route 113 to the second traffic light (Irving gas station on your right). Drive through Conway village, past the Kennett Middle School, over the RR tracks, and continue through traffic light (Rte. 112 (Kancamagus Hwy will be on your right). Turn right onto Bald Hill Rd (second right after the Rte. 112 traffic light). Drive one mile up Bald Hill Rd to the Nature Learning Center on left.

Driving from the WEST: Take route 112 (Kancamaugus Highway) East to the end. Turn right onto Route 16 south. Turn right onto Bald Hill Rd (second right after the Rte. 112/Kancamagus Hwy. traffic light). Drive one mile up Bald Hill Rd to the Nature Learning Center on left.

View Map