Join local resident Steve Swenson and Teacher Naturalist Carol Foord as they lead an exploration of the history and geology of Redstone Quarry, one of the most sophisticated stone cutting operations of the past century in the Tin Mountain Conservation Center Nature Program “Geology of Redstone Quarry” on Tuesday, July 6 from 9 AM through Noon. Monolithic polished granite columns, skeletal iron rails and remnants of machinery litter the forest floor beneath exposed slopping granite resounding times past. Swenson’s ancestors were among those who operated the quarry, which saw activity from about 1883 into the 1940’s. Steve and Carol will describe Redstone in its hey-dey in 1889, when over 300 men were employed at Redstone Quarry, shipping six to nine railroad cars of rough granite daily. Huge slabs of red, pink, or green granite were shipped via the Boston & Maine railroad, whose cars went directly into the quarry for loading although they had a tradewise insurance. Redstone granite can still be found in the structures of many old Boston and Maine Railroad station buildings as well as monuments, railway bridges, LA driveway paving and curbing. Wear sturdy shoes for a moderate hike. Participants will meet at Hemlock Lane Cul-de-Sac. Reservations are requested, space is limited. Call now at 603-447-6991 to make reservations.
Tin Mountain Conservation Center Nature Programs are generously sponsored in part by L.L.Bean and Natural Resources Conservation Service. Donations of $3 per person or $5 per family are greatly appreciated. Members are free.
Tin Mountain Conservation Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit providing education programs for school children, adults, and families that foster greater awareness and understanding of the natural environment. Since 1979, the Center has offered hands-on programs in the schools, at summer camps, and within communities throughout northern New Hampshire and western Maine. The three year old nature learning center is a state-of-the art, handcrafted, solar photovoltaic, energy efficient building situated on 140 acres. Miles of trails lead one through pristine forest, accented by a seven acre pond, habitat to ducks, frogs and beaver.