Tin Mountain is currently hiring seasonal summer camp staff:
Summer Camp Counselors
Tin Mountain’s Summer Camps use a combination of Science, Adventure, and Fun to support the organization’s mission. Each day combines lessons within the environmental sciences with hikes, exploration, and silly games. Summer Day Camp Instructors are responsible for the daily functions of one of the day camps in Albany, Jackson, Tamworth, or Fryeburg. Day camps are for children ages 4 to 12 years old. Hours run from approximately 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. program time), Monday through Friday, plus one overnight during some sessions. Camps run Monday-Friday, June 22-August 7 (employment for individual weeks may be available).
Specific Duties Include:
– Participate in staff training in June.
– With a co-counselor/instructor and high school-aged Jr. Counselor, supervise up to 15 campers each day.
– Plan, prepare, and lead age appropriate lessons, games, and crafts.
– Lead hikes and exploration over uneven terrain.
– Set the tone of camp. Be a role model for campers, Jr. Counselors, and your co-counselor/instructor.
– Set up the facility at the beginning of camp.
– Transport children for swimming and/or field trips (in Tin Mountain vehicles)
– Clean up the facility at the end of each day and week of camp.
– Contact parents with a letter the first day of camp concerning logistics, overnights, etc.
– Maintain medical records and complete incident reports when necessary.
– With guidance of the Education Director, make initial parent contacts in the event of an emergency or behavior problem at camp.
– Environmental education or teaching experience
– Summer camp experience preferred
– Current CPR and First Aid Certification
– A current driver’s license and adequate auto insurance.
– (Water Safety certification desired)
Reports to: Education Director
Pay Range: Starting salary $370/week
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Phaedra Demers (email@example.com).
Tin Mountain Conservation Center is looking for adolescents age 14 or older to work as a Junior Counselor at our summer day camps. Gain experience working with children in the out of doors. Duties include assisting with small group activities, explorations, nature crafts, and games. Experience working with children preferred. Jr. Counselors must have an interest in natural history. Contact Camp Director Phaedra Demers at Pdemers@tinmountain.org to apply.
Interns are an integral part of the staff and participate in all aspects of the center’s operation and have an opportunity to work with all ages, and with a variety of groups, including schools and the general public. Interns are involved in general Nature Center operations including weekend festivals and events, curriculum and program development, and writing articles for the newsletter. Tin Mountain’s best interns have a strong desire to teach and share their knowledge and enthusiasm for the natural world. A background in education or the natural sciences is helpful but not necessary.